Assessment/ Bilingual Parent Specialist (Multiple Vacancies)
- Position Type:
Curriculum & Instruction Support- District
- Date Posted:
District Administration Center - Glendale, AZ
- Closing Date:
UNTIL FILLED   Additional Information:
- Coordinates, administers, and scores assessments required by state law to determine English language proficiency
- Coordinates, administers, and scores assessments required to determine eligibility for Gifted services
- Assists in developing schedules to administer assessments
- Maintains and updates student records and files including printing profiles of students who have completed the assessments
- Monitors state reports to ensure appropriate assessments are on file for new enrollees and reports withdrawn students to ADE
- Performs a variety of clerical functions related to the organizing, maintaining, updating, retrieving, and researching of confidential databases, files, class lists and filing status
- Translates, verbally and in writing, for Spanish-speaking families
- Plans and coordinates parent meetings and workshops
- Promotes and arranges for special activities for students and families to feel connected to the school and district
- May conduct home visits to explain school programs and encourage parents to participate in their children's education
- Establishes and maintains communications between Spanish-speaking parents and students, teachers and schools; assists other district personnel in meeting student's educational needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required to promote the goals of the department.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, policies and procedures
- Knowledge of applicable PUSD and department policies and procedures
- Knowledge of the principles of confidential files, records and database management
- Knowledge of the principles of Arizona State Department of Education assessment schedules and guidelines
- Knowledge of the principles of student assessment
- Knowledge of educational, economic, social, and health needs, customs and cultures of minority families
- Skill in providing oral and written communication and translation in Spanish and English languages
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to perform a variety of duties in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint and background clearance check
- Must possess and must maintain a valid Arizona driver license
- Must demonstrate fluency in both Spanish and English written and oral communications
- May be required to lift and/or carry materials and supplies weighing up to 25 pounds
- May be required to travel to perform work functions
- May be required to work outside normal working hours
Why Choose Peoria Unified: Since 1889, Peoria Unified School District has grown to serve over 37,000 students and nearly 4,000 employees as one of Arizona's largest districts. We cater to the unique learning style of every student, from preschool through high school. Our District prides itself on excelling schools, award-winning teachers, high test scores, career and technical education programs, specialized Choice Programs, free all-day kindergarten, and championship athletic programs. We have a 95% high school graduation rate and are proud to be the first district in the state to receive the prestigious Advanced Accreditation. We achieve such benchmarks by fostering a diverse workforce which values different ideas, is inclusive of all employees, and by maintaining that great family-feel we are known for. Sound like a team you want to join? Then read on!
Position Title: Assessment/Bilingual Parent Specialist
Department: Federal Programs and Student Support Services
Supervisor: Federal Programs Director
Term of Employment: 11 month
Salary Classification: 8
Job Summary: Administers assessments for Gifted identification and English Language learners. Assessments may be administered online, via pencil/paper, or orally.
Serves as a liaison between bilingual families, students and the district by translating verbally and in writing for bilingual family members. Provides direction, guidance and support for educational and life experiences for families whose first language is other than English.
Essential Functions as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A high school diploma of GED; OR any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
What We Offer: Peoria Unified School District offers a robust benefits package that can help increase your financial security, advance professionally, and promote a healthy, fulfilling life. We also participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS). Some of the benefits offered include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Employee Assistance Program, Flexible Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, a Wellness Program, Paid Time Off, and discounts on many other services.
Already Applied? Once you have applied to one of our openings, your information is shared with the site administrator or supervisor. Should they wish to discuss your qualifications further, they will contact you directly and schedule an interview. All job postings remain posted until filled.
To apply for any Peoria Unified School District job, please visit our jobs page: https://www.applitrack.com/peoriaud/onlineapp/default.aspx
The Peoria Unified School District recognizes that academic excellence is enhanced when students are exposed to a broad range of ideas, individuals and experiences. We are therefore committed to celebrating diversity and devoted to an inclusive environment for all employees regardless of race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, national origin, military service, or other non-merit factors.
Peoria Unified School District #11
6330 W. Thunderbird Road
Glendale, AZ 85306