ELL Instructional Assistant - Elementary (Multiple Vacancies)
- Position Type:
School Support Staff/Instructional Assistant
- Date Posted:
District Wide - Glendale, AZ
- Assists students with limited English communication and/or comprehension skills in the comprehension of English directions, instructions and written tasks.
- Assists students to complete homework assignments. Reviews tests and assignments with students needing assistance in the comprehension of English language instructions.
- Provides classroom teacher assistance in daily lesson plans, attendance, record keeping, parent/teacher conferences, and provision of classroom instruction for identified students needing additional assistance due to language difference.
- Reinforces understanding of English vocabulary, reading, writing and comprehension by the student(s).
- Maintains documentation and records for student files.
- Conducts language proficiency tests and recommends eligible students to the program.
- Assists teachers in the setting up learning activities, presenting instructional materials and monitoring student behaviors.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, regulations, ordinances and PUSD policies and procedures
- Knowledge of the principles of educational instruction.
- Skill in reading, interpreting, understanding and applying relevant Federal, state and PUSD rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Skill in assisting students to develop verbal and written English communications.
- Skill in instructing and assisting students in completion of homework.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district.
- Skill in operating a personal computer.
- Have obtained an associate (or higher) degree OR
- Have at least two years of post-secondary education that is equivalent to at least 48 semester hours from an accredited higher education institution OR
- Have met a rigorous standard of quality by demonstrating knowledge on a Paraprofessional Assessment, available at the Peoria Unified School District Office.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint and background clearance check.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Arizona driver license.
- May be required to demonstrate fluency in English: written and oral communications.
- May be required to travel to perform work functions.
- Must be able to pass background and fingerprint investigations.
Position Title: ELL Instructional Assistant
Department: English Acquisition Services
Supervisor: Director of English Acquisition Services
Term of Employment: 9 months
Salary Classification: 8
Job Summary: Assists English Language Learners (ELLs) with a variety of listening, speaking, reading and writing skills to increase English language proficiency.
Essential Functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following: