- Position Type:
Teacher - High School/Guidance Counselor
- Date Posted:
Raymond S Kellis High School - Glendale, AZ
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
- Registers students new to the school, and helps orient them to school procedures and the school’s varied opportunities.
- Assists students in course selection.
- Participates in the registration and scheduling processes for developing student class schedules.
- Maintains student records and protects their confidentiality.
- Works to resolve students’ educational handicaps.
- Works to discover special skills and abilities of students.
- Provides student information to technical schools, colleges, and employers according to the provisions of Board policy and confidentiality laws.
- Makes recommendations to colleges regarding admissions and scholarships.
- Obtains and disseminates career information to students and classes.
- Helps students evaluate career interests and choices.
- Works with students in the solution of personal problems related to peers, home and family, health, emotional adjustment, etc.
- Confers with parents when necessary.
- Interprets the guidance program to the community.
- Assists students in evaluating their aptitude and abilities through the interpretation of standardized test scores.
- Coordinates various testing programs and services.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, policies and procedures
- Knowledge of applicable Peoria Unified School District and departmental policies and procedures
- Knowledge of appropriate personal and vocational counseling strategies.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint and background check
- May be required to work outside normal working hours
- Must have at the time of application and must maintain a valid Arizona driver's license
- May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
- May be required to travel to perform work functions.
Position Title: Guidance Counselor
Department: K-12 Administration
Supervisor: Principal at assigned location
Salary Classification: Teacher Salary Schedule
Job Summary: The person in this role will assist students in making educational, occupational, and life plans that hold promise for their personal fulfillment as responsible men and women.
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A Master's Degree, and a Guidance certificate from the Arizona Department of Education AND previous experience as a classroom teacher, OR any equivalent combination of experience and education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.