- Position Type:
Teacher - High School/Guidance Counselor
- Date Posted:
Peoria High School - Peoria, AZ
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
until filled   Additional Information:
Position Title: High School Guidance Counselor
Supervisor: Principal at assigned location
Term of Employment: 9 months with 7 additional days
Salary Classification: Teacher Salary Schedule + 7 days paid at the daily rate
Job Summary: The position of School Counselor will promote student success through the implementation of a comprehensive school counseling program which addresses academic, career, and social-emotional needs of students. The School Counselor also contributes to school wide college and career readiness efforts.
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
• Develop, manage, and implement a comprehensive school counseling program based on the ASCA National Model.
• Collaborate with parents, administration, and faculty members to improve student achievement.
• Assist students in developing an Education and Career Action Plan (ECAP) with annual updates and revisions as needed.
• Provides whole-group classroom lessons based on ASCA National Model and district and state curriculum goals.
• Assist students with college and career planning through classroom curriculum and interpreting and evaluating aptitude and standardized tests.
• Assist students in developing problem-solving skills and promoting social-emotional well-being.
• Assists students in crisis situations and make referrals to district and community resources when necessary.
• Support 504 Accommodation referral, evaluation, and implementation for students.
• Support students with special education needs by serving on IEP teams and advocating for student.
• Maintains student records and protects their confidentiality.
• Remains current with district, state, and federal policy and procedures.
• Remains current with post-secondary college and career opportunities and best practices.
• Promotes a positive and inclusive school culture.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Knowledge of American School Counselor Association (ASCA) Mindsets and Behaviors for Student Success
• Knowledge of college and career readiness and career development.
• Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, policies and procedures
• Knowledge of applicable Peoria Unified School District and departmental policies and procedures
• Knowledge of appropriate personal and vocational counseling strategies.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district.
• Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A Master's Degree, and a Standard School Counselor certificate from the Arizona Department of Education. Previous experience as a classroom teacher or experience of effective classroom instructional practices is desired.
• Must be able to pass a fingerprint and background check
• May be required to work outside normal working hours
• Must have at the time of application and must maintain a valid Arizona driver's license
• May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
• May be required to travel to perform work functions.