High School Lead Counselor **2021/2022 SY
- Position Type:
Teacher - High School
- Date Posted:
Peoria High School - Peoria, AZ
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
08062021   Additional Information:
Position Title: Lead High School Counselor
Supervisor: Principal at assigned location
Term of Employment: 9 months with 30 additional days
Salary Classification: Teacher Salary Schedule + 30 days paid at daily rate
Job Summary: The position of Lead School Counselor will promote student success through the development and implementation of a comprehensive school counseling program which addresses academic, career, and social-emotional needs of students. The School Counselor also serves as a leader in developing and implementing a school wide college and career readiness plan.
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
• Leads the develop, management, and implementation of a comprehensive school counseling program based on the ASCA National Model.
• Serves as Leader for the School Counseling team.
• Leads the Counseling Team in the development and planning of whole group classroom lessons.
• Collaborate with parents, administration, and faculty members to improve student achievement.
• Leads school and counseling department in developing an annual ECAP for every student.
• Assist students in developing an Education and Career Action Plan (ECAP) with annual updates and revisions as needed.
• Provides whole-group classroom lessons based on ASCA National Model and district and state curriculum goals.
• Assist students with college and career planning through classroom curriculum and interpreting and evaluating aptitude and standardized tests.
• Assist students in developing problem-solving skills and promoting social-emotional well-being.
• Assists students in crisis situations and make referrals to district and community resources when necessary.
• Support 504 Accommodation referral, evaluation, and implementation for students.
• Support students with special education needs by serving on IEP teams and advocating for student.
• Maintains student records and protects their confidentiality.
• Remains current with district, state, and federal policy and procedures. Serves as school representative on the PUSD School Counseling Team.
• Remains current with post-secondary college and career opportunities and best practices.
• Promotes a positive and inclusive school culture.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Knowledge of American School Counselor Association (ASCA) Mindsets and Behaviors for Student Success
• Knowledge of college and career readiness and career development.
• Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, policies and procedures
• Knowledge of applicable Peoria Unified School District and departmental policies and procedures
• Knowledge of appropriate personal and vocational counseling strategies.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district.
• Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A Master's Degree, and a Standard School Counselor certificate from the Arizona Department of Education. A minimum of three years previous experience as a School Counselor or in a Leadership position. Classroom teacher or experience of effective classroom instructional practices is desired.
• Must be able to pass a fingerprint and background check
• May be required to work outside normal working hours
• Must have at the time of application and must maintain a valid Arizona driver's license
• May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
• May be required to travel to perform work functions.