Library Assistant-Part Time
- Position Type:
School Support Staff
- Date Posted:
Frontier Elementary - Peoria, AZ   Position Title: Library Assistant
- Assists library paraprofessional with supervision and instruction of students incorporating curriculum goals.
- Assists students, teachers and staff with circulation, online catalogue, patron and electronic data or specific special requests; repairs damaged books by gluing, rebinding, and taping information.
- Maintains library files, receives and processes orders, maintains records for overdue, damaged or lost books; sends out notices for overdue books or contacts teacher or students to collect or return books; collects and processes fines.
- Assists and monitors student access to files on computers; assists students to learn proper utilization of computer and peripherals. Maintains and updates computer applications, electronic resources and web resources; troubleshoots computer and equipment operation
- Maintains book inventory, checks books in and out, reshelves books and reads shelves to arrange books in proper order; prepares new books for library use by stamping, adding barcodes and spine labels, wrapping book jackets and taping edges as needed; enters into computer files.
- Sets up seasonal displays and decorations; creates bibliography packets; plugs in movies for classrooms into our system; assists with research for class assignments on the Internet and book suggestions for teachers and students.
- Reads to Enrichment groups in conjunction with classroom activities and learning criteria.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of applicable Peoria Unified School District and departmental policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of principles of automated systems, audio-visuals and electronic learning methods.
- Knowledge of principles of customer service techniques and methods.
- Knowledge of principles of library systems for finding, reshelving and reading shelves.
- Skill in organizing, prioritizing, and maintaining electronic and manual filing systems.
- Skill in assisting patrons in locating materials, books, and audiovisual needs.
- Skill in counting, handling and receipting monies collected.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications.
- Must possess or obtain an Arizona IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card.
- Must be able to pass a background clearence check.
- May be required to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and materials weighing up to 50 pounds
Department: K-12 Academy Services
Supervisor: Site Administrator
Term of Employment: 9 Months
Salary Classification: 9
Job Summary: Performs a variety of clerical and technical functions to assist the Library Paraprofessional with supervision and instruction of students, maintains files, records, equipment and book inventories.
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A high school diploma or GED AND the equivalent of two years of college or a passing score on a state-approved competency examination.