Lifeguard (Multiple Vacancies)
- Position Type:
Athletics/Activities/Extra Duties Stipends
- Date Posted:
Peoria High School - Peoria, AZ
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
09/13/2019   Additional Information:
Position Title: LIFEGUARD
Supervisor: School Administrator
Term of Employment: Seasonal – Fall/Spring
Salary: $12.00 per hour
Job Summary: To obtain employment as a lifeguard, one has to be an excellent swimmer along with possessing certification in lifesaving particularly the Red Cross Advanced Lifesaving Certificate. Specific training in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is also one of the prerequisites for this position.
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
• Maintain continuous surveillance of people in swimming pools
• Ensure appropriate headcount of people involved in a watersport
• Call out warnings to people who are in imminent danger
• Provide safety information to people prior to them indulging in a water sport
• Supervise swimmers to ensure that they are swimming within the safety protocols
• Spot hazards or potential hazards and take measures to prevent accidents or injuries
• Control and report unruly behavior
• Perform rescues in the event of drowning or swimming accidents
• Perform first aid and CPR according to the demands of adverse situations
• Check safety of rescue tubes and buoys and perform needed maintenance
• Ensure that all pool equipment is stored safely and that any lost items are kept in a safe place
• Performs other duties as assigned or required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
• Skill in the application of lifeguarding surveillance and rescue techniques.
• Ability to pass a pre-employment physical skills evaluation as stipulated by the department.
• Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork.
• Knowledge of CPR and emergency medical procedures.
• Ability to follow routine verbal and written instructions.
• Knowledge of applicable Peoria Unified School District and departmental policies and procedures
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: 6 months to 1 year experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
CPR Certified; Current certification as Lifeguard by a recognized source of training.
• Must be able to pass a fingerprint and background check
• May be required to work outside normal working hours
• Must have at the time of application and must maintain a valid Arizona driver's license