Maintenance HVAC Specialist
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
Centralized Maintenance - Glendale, AZ
- Date Available:
4/14/2021   Additional Information:
- Responds to refrigeration, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning environmental services work order needs, assignments and calls to troubleshoot and resolve HVAC issues. Identifies, collects and/or orders necessary tools, parts, equipment, materials and personnel. Assists other trades to resolve HVAC issues.
- Installs new HVAC construction at assigned sites. Coordinates work with contractors, vendors and other trades assigned to project.
- Performs preventative maintenance, repairs, replaces or installs heating, cooling, refrigeration and mechanical appliances. Responds to work orders for chillers, cooling towers, pumps, motors, air compressors, air handlers, blowers and other related HVAC equipment. Recovers or replaces Freon.
- Repairs circuit computerized controls of chillers, heaters, printed circuit boards, sensors and control circuits. Reviews air duct systems. Installs sheet metal vents and ductwork for HVAC units.
- Troubleshoots mechanical and electrical equipment. As authorized, makes adjustments to Energy Management Systems (EMS) controls, settings and output. Conducts regularly scheduled and routine inspections and maintenance.
- Services, installs, repairs or replaces heat pumps, gas pacs, air conditioners, exhaust fans and controls. Cleans condensation lines, cooling towers, chillers, pumps, condensers and water monitoring systems.
- Orders, picks up, organizes and replenishes supplies. Maintains service truck. Determines parts, supplies, materials and other needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, regulations, ordinances and codes and PUSD policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles of HVAC practices, methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of gas, electrical and plumbing practices and methods.
- Knowledge of principles of file and records management.
- Knowledge of the use and maintenance of power and hand tools and equipment.
- Skill in reading, interpreting, understanding and applying relevant Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, regulations, ordinances and codes and PUSD policies and procedures.
- Skill in assessing, analyzing, troubleshooting, diagnosing and undertaking appropriate repairs and maintenance of HVAC systems and equipment.
- Skill in safely recovering and/or replacing Freon refrigerant.
- Skill in performing mathematical calculations.
- Skill in designing and installing sheet metal vents and ductwork for HVAC systems.
- Skill in maintaining records and files of parts inventory, maintenance and formal inspections.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint and background clearance check.
- Must possess at time of application and must maintain a valid Arizona driver license.
- May be required to demonstrate fluency in English: written and oral communications
- Must possess at time of application and must maintain Air Conditioning Systems and Freon Certifications.
- May be required to perform HVAC services and repairs while standing, stooping, bending, crawling and working overhead or in trenches.
- May be exposed to dangerous machinery, potential physical harm, extreme weather conditions, hazardous chemicals, infectious diseases, air and water borne pathogens.
- May be required to lift and/or carry heavy, bulky supplies, equipment, tools, parts and materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
- When assigned, will be required to work outside normal working hours. Schedule will include weekend and evening assignments as necessary.
- May be required to travel to perform work functions.
Position Title: HVAC SpecialistDepartment: Maintenance Department
Supervisor: Director of Maintenance
Term of Employment: 12 months
Salary Classification: 16
Job Summary: Provides a variety of skilled journey level heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) services for Peoria Unified School District (PUSD).This position has high emphasis on chiller repairs.
Essential Functions as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma or GED, completion of a formal HVAC apprenticeship training program including Recovery and replacement of Freon, AND five (5) years of HVAC journey level work experience; OR any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.