Sign Language Interpreter Substitute
- Position Type:
Related Services/Sign Language Interpreter
- Date Posted:
District Wide - Glendale, AZ   Additional Information:
- Facilitates communications between teachers, students and other staff members with the deaf and hard of hearing students throughout the school day.
- Facilitates conversations with teachers regarding interpreting best practices.
- Reviews, prepares and becomes familiar with subject matter, vocabulary and terms to prepare for upcoming classes.
- Researches information to prepare for special assemblies, concerts, plays and/or field trips.
- Tutors/assists students utilizing a variety of forms of non-verbal and voice communications.
- Uses a variety of modalities and electronic devices such as closed captioning, hearing aids, and assistive listening devices and telecommunications equipment to enhance the understanding of the information being interpreted.
- Tutors students utilizing a variety of forms of non-verbal and voice communications.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, regulations, ordinances and PUSD policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles of professional sign interpretation practices, methods and techniques
- Knowledge of the principles of electronic audio-visual equipment to provide communication and support to the deaf community and its culture.
- Knowledge of the principles of educational/tutoring techniques, instruction and tutoring methods.
- Skill in reading, interpreting, understanding, and applying relevant Federal, state and PUSD rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Skill in identifying, advocating, and supporting the educational needs of the deaf or hard of hearing population served.
- Skill in developing, maintaining, and updating a variety of confidential records and files.
- Skill in interpreting a wide variety of educational, instructional, and social conversations.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, general public and others having business with the school district.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications.
- Minimum passing score of 3.5 or better on the Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA)
- Provisional C or B Licensure
- Valid Certificate of Interpretation (CI) and/or Certificate of Transliteration (CT) from the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID)
- Valid certificate from the National Interpreter Certification (NIC)
- Valid fingerprint clearance card
- Must demonstrate fluency in sign language interpretation of a variety of educational materials and activities.
- May be required to work outside normal working hours.
Position Title: Sign Language Interpreter Substitute
Department: Special Education
Supervisor: Director of Special Education and/or School Administrator
Term of Employment: 9 months
Salary Classification: 18
Job Summary: Provides educational, social, and informational interpreting services for the deaf and hard of hearing to facilitate communication between those who can hear and those who are deaf or hard of hearing
Essential Functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following: