Special Education Coordinator (23/24 School Year)
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
District Wide - Glendale, AZ
- Closing Date:
Until Filled   Additional Information:
- Serves as a member of the Special Education Leadership Team
- Serves as a resource to site and district administrators for program decisions, development and individual student needs
- Assists the Special Education Department staff and site administrators with the development and implementation of appropriate Individual Education Programs
- Attends school special education department meetings
- Participates in the development, maintenance, and review of Special Education department policies and procedures
- Oversees specific program development and provides staff support to assigned schools
- Schedules regular visits to assigned campuses as a form of communication, support, and team building
- Creates and provides staff development aligned with compliance, federal and state mandates, and district and Special Education department procedures and goals
- Conducts new teacher orientation and training
- Provides training to Special Education Staff at both local and district levels and provides assistance to site administrators and district staff development related to Special Education including the use of technology
- Leads assigned cohort to include department leads and coaches in the furthering of program development and Special Education department goals and mission
- Conducts conferences and meetings with Special Education staff to assist and improve performance in the provision of Special Education Services
- Observes Special Education classrooms and provides follow-up with staff and administrators as needed
- Serves as a resource and support to parents in providing guidance regarding the planning and provision of Special Education services
- Contributes to the Special Education Department newsletter
- Performs other duties as assigned or required, to include, but not limited to the facilitation of Extended School Year, AIMS-A, Assistive Technology team, Curriculum and Instruction collaboration, and other committees
- Maintains communication logs of interactions with schools and parents
- Knowledge of the Special Education delivery system, standards, as well as state and federal requirement competencies.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of applicable Peoria Unified School District and departmental policies and procedures.
- Thorough working knowledge of all terminology associated with Special Education.
- Ability to model and articulate the terms, concepts, and requirements, both federal and state, related to the provision of Special Education Services, with others to ensure the provision of FAPE.
- Working knowledge of the application of technology needs related to Special Education and a keen interest in new and emerging requirements, mandate and best practices for Special Education, especially for Individual Education Plans, Medicaid in Public Schools, and census responsibilities.
- A history of, ability to, work cooperatively with Administration, District staff, development personnel and teachers.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations and communication with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Must possess a current State of Arizona Department of Education certificate related to Special Education OR a current Arizona license to deliver OT, PT, Speech, or Counseling services AND a minimum of five (5) years of experience, OR any equivalent combination of experience and education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint and background clearance check.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an Arizona driver’s license.
- May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
- May be required to work outside normal working hours
- May be required to travel to perform work functions
|Special Education Coordinator (23/24 School Year)||JobID: 18592|
Position Title: Special Education Coordinator - (23/24 School Year)
Department: Special Education
Supervisor: Director of Special Education
Salary Classification: Teacher Salary Schedule + StipendJob Summary: The person in this role will assist the Special Education Department and District in providing general and technical assistance support to Special Education Staff and supports program development and compliance with regulations.
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: