Special Education Instructional Assistant
- Position Type:
School Support Staff/Instructional Assistant
- Date Posted:
Canyon Elementary - Glendale, AZ
- Date Available:
01/27/2021   Additional Information:
- Meets needs of all students with disabilities on their campus under the direction of school administration and special education teams.
- Monitors and assists students in multiple classroom environments to complete tasks, stay focused and provides accommodations per the Individual Education Plan (IEP).
- Covers for absences for Classroom Independence Assistants (CIAs) and assistants in specialized programs.
- Assists in teaching and modeling workplace skills and positive behaviors.
- Assists students in daily living skills such as feeding, toileting, mobility.
- Provides support in monitoring, intervening, and redirecting student behaviors. Acts to prevent and deescalate student behavior.
- Utilizes and assists student with utilization of assistive technology.
- Assists in data collection related to IEP goals
- Leads individual and small group activities with students under teacher direction.
- Facilitates communication between general education and special education teachers.
- Escorts students to and from classes, activities, and transportation buses as needed.
- Maintains documentation and records for student files; maintains and updates computer files.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including but not limited to playground or cafeteria monitor.
- Prepares instructional materials and copies. Prepares and distributes learning materials according to teacher direction. Assists students to use educational tools.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of applicable Peoria Unified School District and departmental policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates understanding of the unique needs and characteristics of students with a variety of disabilities (i.e. Specific Learning Disability, Other Health Impaired, Emotional Disability)
- Knowledge of principles of classroom and behavior management.
- Knowledge of the principles of record, file and database management.
- Knowledge of principles of child development stages and developmental delays.
- Demonstrates flexibility, common sense and good judgment.
- Skill in following oral and written directions.
- Skill in identifying, preventing and deescalating negative behaviors.
- Skill in assisting students in progressing on Individual Education Plan (IEP) goals.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint and background clearance check.
- Must be able to provide a Social Security number for AHCCS provider
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an Arizona driver’s license.
- Must be able to complete training in CPR, First Aid, Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (CPI), and specialized training for students with disabilities if needed.
- May be required to demonstrate fluency in English: written and oral communications
- May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
- May be required to lift students weighing up to 60 pounds
- May be required to work outside normal working hours
- May be required to travel to perform work functions
- Preference will be given to candidates that have prior working experience with high risk students with special needs.
Position Title: Special Education Assistant
Department: Special Education
Supervisor: School Principal or Designee
Term of Employment: 9 months
Salary Classification: 8
Job Summary: Provides a variety of instructional assistance and support services associated with general and specialized educational programs and student needs across the school campus.
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following. Other duties may be assigned: