Special Education Strategist/SUCCEED
- Position Type:
Related Services/Teacher Coach
- Date Posted:
District Wide - Glendale, AZ
- Date Available:
07/29/2021   Additional Information:
- Provides support to teachers and staff in the understanding of Special Education delivery standards, state and federal required competencies, and current research and evidence based practices
- Assists teachers in selecting approved specialized, supplemental materials aligned with Arizona Standards and PUSD curriculum to meet individualized student needs
- Provides ongoing in-service to teachers and building staff on special education procedures and instructional best practices related to special education.
- Guides teachers to implement effective behavior management strategies
- Conducts conferences with teachers relative to their use of specialized, evidenced-based practices and the integration of technology with classroom instruction
- Provides assistance with adherence to district policies and procedures for coordination of referral, identification, and placement process.
- Assists teachers in assessing their instructional strengths to determine continued professional development needs
- Assists teachers to integrate Arizona Standards with classroom instruction and in IEPs
- Provides assistance in progress monitoring and analyzing student achievement data in order to plan and deliver individualized, differentiated instruction
- Communicates regularly with site and district level administrators on the progress of programs, services, intervention and practices
- Attends and participates collaboratively in Curriculum and Instruction and Special Education department meetings
- Identifies exemplar teachers who can serve as demonstration classrooms for other teachers
- Develops and implements professional development related to targeted exceptional student needs
- Actively participates in professional development activities that are provided by the district and/or by professional development organizations
- Develops and models instructional lessons which incorporate standard mandates, best practices, and the use of technology resources to enhance student learning
- Observes and/or videotapes classroom teaching and provides follow-up coaching for the purpose of instructional support and program development
- Supports and assesses the use of approved supplemental resources
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of applicable Peoria Unified School District and departmental policies and procedures
- Understanding curriculum, special education teaching methods and techniques, behavioral interventions, classroom management and professional development
- Display a high level of initiative, effort, and commitment towards completing assignments and a commitment to quality services
- Application of the Essential Elements of Instruction, Arizona Standards, Special Education laws, procedures, and practices
- Ability to recognize training needs in program areas and to implement professional development programs
- Ability to model and to articulate the terms and concepts related to the provision of special education services with others
- Working knowledge of technology applications related to special education and instruction
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications
- Ability to build relationships that support teacher development in response to individual needs of teachers
- Ability to analyze assessments, curriculums, and instructional plans
- Demonstrate an understanding in the stages of teacher development
- Encourage and facilitate a positive work environment incorporating cooperation, pride, and trust
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint and background clearance check.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an Arizona driver’s license.
- May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
- May be required to work outside normal working hours.
- May be required to travel to perform work functions.
Position Title: Special Education Strategist
Department: Assigned School Locations
Supervisor: Directors of Special Education
Term of Employment: 9 Months
Salary Classification: Teacher Salary Schedule + Stipend
Job Summary: The Special Education Strategist will support teachers and staff in meeting exceptional students’ needs through the improvement of their instructional strategies for delivery of specially designed instruction, IEP development and implementation, modification/adaptation of curriculum, behavioral interventions, and the use of research based specialized materials/technology within the classroom environment.
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Must possess a valid Arizona special education teaching certificate, have a minimum of five years teaching experience in special education OR any equivalent combination of experience and education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.