- Position Type:
Teacher - High School/Guidance Counselor
- Date Posted:
MET Professional Academy - Peoria, AZ
(Title I Funded Site)
- Date Available:
07/29/2021   Additional Information:
- Co-enrolls students new to the MET program and registers students in MET courses
- Liaison with post-secondary community to schedule college visits and coordinates dual enrollment
- Works to discover special skills and abilities of students & assists in matching them up with professional mentors
- Seeks out and schedules guest speakers from industry
- Assists in arranging field trips and job shadow experiences for students
- Helps to place student interns and manages the internship process
- Makes recommendations to students and colleges regarding scholarships
- Works on designing and delivering professional skills lessons during student workshops
- Obtains and disseminates career planning information to students and assists students in evaluating career interests and goals
- Attends district lead counselor meetings & applicable professional development
- Collaborates with local and national affiliates
- Provides student information to technical schools, colleges, and employers according to the provisions of Board policy and confidentiality laws
- Works with students in the solution of personal problems related to peers, home and family, health, emotional adjustment, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, policies and procedures
- Knowledge of applicable Peoria Unified School District and departmental policies and procedures
- Knowledge of appropriate personal and career counseling strategies.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, business partners, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint and background check
- May be required to work outside normal working hours
- Must have at the time of application and must maintain a valid Arizona driver's license
- May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
- May be required to travel to perform work functions.
Position Title: Academic Counselor, MET Professional Academy
Department: K-12 Administration
Supervisor: MET Director
Term of Employment: 9 months
JOB SUMMARY: The person in this role will assist students in making educational, professional, and life plans that hold promise for their personal fulfillment as responsible men and women.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A Teaching or Guidance certificate from the Arizona Department of Education OR any equivalent combination of experience and education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Job Reference #: 13415