- Position Type:
School Support Staff
- Date Posted:
Cactus High School - Glendale, AZ   Position Title: Career Specialist
- Compiles and provides college catalogs and applications. Maintains and updates career folders, computer database and college scholarships.
- Promotes and orchestrates Career Fair. Invites representatives based on student surveys.
- Assists students with admissions applications for the military, college or trades school awards, grants and scholarships.
- Invites representatives of specific careers for guest speakers, and classroom presentations.
- Arranges opportunities for job shadowing; internship programs, summer jobs and tours of college or technical school campuses.
- Conducts interest/skills evaluations for career exploration in Discovery and business classes. Assists or monitors examination or testing of students.
- Provides back up office support for receptionists desk.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, regulations, ordinances and PUSD policies and procedures
- Knowledge of career counseling and guidance practices and trends
- Knowledge of community resources for internships, job shadowing, summer jobs, guest speakers and recruitment representatives.
- Knowledge of the principles of files, records and database management.
- Skill in reading, interpreting, understanding and applying relevant Federal, state and PUSD rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Skill in assessing and recommending individual career guidance, options and related coursework.
- Skill in developing, coordinating, scheduling, supervising and presenting information to large audiences at career fairs and recruitment promotions.
- Skill in developing partnerships between school and community groups to create job opportunities, internships, apprenticeships and summer jobs
- Skill in researching and maintaining current educational funding opportunities such as grants, internships, awards and scholarships.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications and peripheral equipment.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint and background clearance check.
- Must possess at time of application and must maintain a valid Arizona driver license.
- May be required to lift and/or carry heavy, bulky supplies, equipment and materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
- May be required to travel to perform work functions.
- May be required to work outside normal working hours.
Department: Student Services
Supervisor: On site administrator
Term of Employment: 9 month
Salary Classification: 9
Job Summary: Assists High School students by providing career or future education options and ideas. Assists students with selecting classes applicable towards meeting career goals or options.
Essential Functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following: