Developmental Preschool Instructional Assistant-Part Time Multiple Positions
- Position Type:
School Support Staff/Instructional Assistant
- Date Posted:
Oasis Elementary - Peoria, AZ   Additional Information:
- Prepares instructional and art activity materials and copies. Prepares and distributes learning packets according to teacher direction. Assists students to use educational tools.
- Teaches eating, food preparation and cleaning skills. Disinfects eating and food preparation areas. Assists and guides students in preparing meals, eating and cleaning.
- Teaches daily living skills such as eating, spending money, time management, rules of behavior, and personal hygiene such as brushing teeth and combing hair. Assists and guides students with daily living needs and personal hygiene.
- Monitors and assists students to complete tasks, stay focused and not disturb others. Assists and calls for assistance when students experience physical or mental trauma. Creates a safe place for student during emotional or physical meltdown.
- Assists student with augmentative physical and communications devices. Cleans and maintains devices. Charges batteries and performs technical maintenance as needed.
- Escorts student to and from classes, activities and transportation buses. May lift and assist students with augmentative physical devices to transport vans, toilets and therapy devices.
- Assists with physical training programs. Assists in preparation, sending and receipt of student grade checks.
- Provides one-on-one or small group activities under the teacher’s direction. Monitors behavior and activity, and experiments with different approaches to increase student’s physical, mental and emotional skills.
- Provides support in monitoring, intervening and redirecting student behaviors. Assist in providing a safe, peaceful and educational climate. Assists student to achieve increasing self-sufficiency skills as able.
- Supervises students in social situations in the cafeteria and playground environment.
- Assists with toileting, diapering, cleaning bodily fluids and changing. Cleans and disinfects toileting/changing areas. Launders classroom towels, sheets and nap blankets.
- Maintains documentation and records for student files; maintains and updates computer files.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, policies and procedures
- Knowledge of applicable grants management
- Knowledge of applicable Peoria Unified School District and departmental policies and procedures
- Knowledge of principles of behavior management.
- Knowledge of the principles of record, file and database management.
- Knowledge of principles of basic and non-typical child development stages, and non-typical developmental delays.
- Knowledge of student monitoring techniques and behavioral controls.
- Skill in following oral and written directions.
- Skill in providing individualized learning and personal assistance.
- Skill in identifying, preventing and deescalating negative behaviors.
- Skill in instructing and assisting students in self-help living skills.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications.
- Must possess or obtain an Arizona IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card.
- Must be able to pass a background clearence check.
- Must be able to provide a Social Security number for AHCCS provider
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an Arizona driver’s license.
- May be required to complete training in CPR, First Aid, Nonviolent Crisis Intervention, and specialized training for developmentally disable students
- May be required to demonstrate fluency in English: written and oral communications
- May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
- May be required to lift students weighing up to 60 pounds
- May be required to physically restrain or run after a student.
- May be required to work outside normal working hours
- May be required to travel to perform work functions
Position Title: Developmental Preschool Instructional Assistant
Department: Special Education
Supervisor: Director of Special Education
Term of Employment: 9 months
Salary Classification: 8Job Summary: Provides a variety of instructional assistance and support series associated with specialized educational programs and student needs. Provides a variety of personal care services for physically handicapped and emotionally and mentally challenged students.
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following. Other duties may be assigned: