Preschool Instructional Assistant/Float (3 vacancies)
- Position Type:
School Support Staff/Instructional Assistant
- Date Posted:
District Wide - Glendale, AZ
- Date Available:
08/02/2021   Additional Information:
Position Title: Instructional Assistant Preschool Float
Department: Early Childhood
Supervisor: Early Childhood Director
Term of Employment: 9 months, 38 hours
Salary Classification: 8
Job Summary: Provides a variety of instructional assistance and support services associated with early
childhood programs and student needs. Provides a variety of services for typically developing and
developmentally delayed preschool students.
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as def ined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not
limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is
not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
• Monitors student behavior and redirects as needed.
• Supervises one-on-one or small group activities under the teacher’s direction.
• Prepares learning materials as requested by teacher.
• Assists with food preparation and cleaning. Disinfects eating and food preparation areas. Assists and guides
students in handwashing, eating and cleaning up.
• Assists with daily living skills such as eating, rules of behavior, and personal hygiene such as handwashi ng and
• Escorts students to and f rom classes, activities and transportation buses.
• Provides support in monitoring, intervening and directing student behaviors. Assists in providing a safe, peacef ul
and educational climate.
• Supervises students in social situations in the classroom and outdoor environment.
• Maintains documentation and records and assists in data collection.
• Reports to assigned location daily.
• Communicates with Preschool Registration Of f ice daily for location assignments.
• Attends district professional development.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
? Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, policies and procedures.
? Knowledge of applicable Peoria Unif ied School District and departmental policies and procedures.
? Knowledge of the Arizona Department of Health Services regulations.
? Knowledge of principles of behavior management.
? Knowledge of typical and atypical child development.
? Knowledge of student monitoring techniques and behavioral controls.
? Skill in following oral and written directions.
? Skill in providing individualized learning and personalized assistance.
? Skill in identifying, preventing and deescalating negative behaviors.
? Skill in instructing and assisting students with self -help skills.
? Skill in establishing and maintaining ef fective working relations with co -workers, vendors, students, parents, the
general public and others having business with the school district.
? Skill in learning special methods and procedures for working with young children of diverse abilities.
? Skill in working with a variety of teachers and in a variety of classrooms.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A high school diploma or GED.
• Must be 18 years of age.
• Must be able to pass a f ingerprint and background clearance check.
• Must have proof of negative Mantoux TB test prior to beginning employment.
• Must be able to provide a Social Security number for AHCCCS provider.
• Must have Arizona Department of Public Safety f ingerprint clearance card prior to beginning employment.
• Must pass Arizona Department of Child Safety background check.
• Must obtain Food Handler’s card.
• Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language.
• Must be able to maintain an Arizona driver’s license.
• May be required to lif t and move up to 50 pounds.
• May be required to bend, squat, stoop, sit and move at a young child’s level.
• May be required to stand, walk, or sit for extended periods of time.
• May be required to complete training in CPR, First Aid, Nonviolent Crisis Intervention and specialized training for