Special Education PREP Room Assistant **2021/2022 SY
- Position Type:
School Support Staff/Instructional Assistant
- Date Posted:
Sky View Elementary - Peoria, AZ
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
08062021   Additional Information:
- Provides support in monitoring, intervening and redirecting student behaviors.
- Assist in providing a safe, peaceful and educational climate.
- Assists student to achieve increasing self-advocacy skills.
- Supervises students in the PREP Room.
- Documents student behavior and interventions in program specified methods.
- Communicates with other staff and administration the outcome of the intervention and the student status.
- Maintains documentation and records for student files; maintains and updates electronic files.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of applicable Peoria Unified School District and departmental policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of principles of behavior management.
- Knowledge of the principles of record, file and database management.
- Knowledge of principles of basic and non-typical child development stages, and non-typical developmental delays.
- Knowledge of student monitoring techniques and behavioral controls.
- Skill in following oral and written directions.
- Skill in providing individualized learning and personal assistance.
- Skill in identifying, preventing and deescalating negative behaviors.
- Skill in instructing and assisting students in self-help living and health skills.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications.
- Have obtained an associate (or higher) degree OR
- Have at least two years of post-secondary education that is equivalent to at least 48 semester hours from an accredited higher education institution OR
- Have met a rigorous standard of quality by demonstrating knowledge on a Paraprofessional Assessment, available at the Peoria Unified School District Office
- Must possess or obtain an Arizona IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card.
- Must be able to pass a background clearence check.
- Must be able to provide a Social Security number for AHCCS provider
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an Arizona driver’s license.
- May be required to complete training in CPR, First Aid, Nonviolent Crisis Intervention, and specialized training for students with disabilities
- Must be able to physically restrain a student utilizing on of the CPI holds; must be able to run after students who are at risk of fleeing from a safe location.
- May be required to demonstrate fluency in English: written and oral communications
- May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
- May be required to lift students weighing up to 60 pounds
- May be required to physically restrain or run after a student.
- May be required to work outside normal working hours
- May be required to travel to perform work functions
Position Title: Special Education PREP Room (Positive Relationships Expectations Practices) Assistant, PBS (Positive Behavior Support) Program
Department: Special Education
Supervisor: Principal at assigned location
Term of Employment: 9 months
Salary Classification: 8
Job Summary: Provides support services associated with specialized educational programs and student needs. Provides a variety of positive behavioral support strategies for students with emotional and behavioral needs.
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following. Other duties may be assigned: